Welcome Guest: เข้าสู่ระบบ | สมัครสมาชิก วันเวลาปัจจุบัน ศุกร์ มี.ค. 29, 2024 4:18 am

หน้าเว็บบอร์ด ร่วมทำงานกับเรา School Master Kansas City Chiefs defensive trends and tabulation for Week

School Master คุยกัน

Moderator: photo_a

Kansas City Chiefs defensive trends and tabulation for Week

โพสต์โดย linchao เมื่อ พุธ พ.ย. 21, 2018 8:58 am

That’s how many snaps — including penalties — the Kansas City Chiefs defense was on the field Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. It’s also the same number of snaps they were on the field last week Cheap Kareem Hunt Jersey , too.At this rate, the Chiefs defense will be on the field for 1,312 snaps this season.Hell, I’m going to need an IV for that!Let’s not try to spin it, this week was bad for the defense. They started great, allowing the offense to get a three-score lead, then promptly coughed up that lead before halftime. They showed a slight improvement late in the second half, stopping the Steelers on three consecutive drives to help the team seal the game.But my goodness... what took place in between was some of the worst defense we’ve seen in a little while.The Chiefs have now given up over 400 passing yards to the opposition in each of their games this year, and have allowed teams to hang around all game long, despite the ridiculous offensive output that the Chiefs offense is sustaining.But where did those numbers rack up? Where did the Steelers find the most success? Why is Bob Sutton torturing one of his only supporters with a ludicrous number of snaps featuring some baffling schematic problems?Fortunately (or unfortunately for some), I’ve got the numbers this week to tell you where they had some marginal success, some catastrophic failures, and an overall “meh” outcome.The numbersThe Chiefs lined up in their base 3-4 formation 4.88 percent of the time, typically against 12 personnel. In those very limited snaps, the opposition gained 0.66 yards per play.The Chiefs lined up in their nickel defense with two down linemen and four linebackers 69.51 percent of the time, once again making it their preferred formation for the week. They allowed 7.09 yards per play out of this formation.The Chiefs showed their two defensive linemen, three linebacker dime formation 12.19 percent of the snaps this week. On those snaps, the Steelers gained 5.8 yards per play.The Chiefs dropped an outside linebacker or defensive lineman — brace yourself — on 36.60 percent of the snaps in Week 2. Those plays gave up 7.47 yards per play, and on average, the quarterback threw the ball in 2.72 seconds.The Chiefs sent extra rushers 11.20 percent of the time.That’s higher than last week, but still very low compared to the rest of the league. However, the Chiefs showed pressure, brought a rusher from the second level while dropping another rusher Cheap Steven Nelson Jersey , ran a stunt, or blitzed on 29.50 percent of the snaps, so they weren’t completely vanilla.The Chiefs sent extra rushers just as much in the second quarter as they did in the fourth quarter. Those hoping that Sutton turned up the heat and blitzed more to get the stops he needed at the end of the game should take note that he did it while the Steelers were also marching down the field in the middle of the game. Those opening drives with three straight stops? Those were three and four-man rushes from the Chiefs defense.The Chiefs rushed three players on 31.0 percent of the passing snaps. Those snaps resulted in 9.35 yards per play and an average time to throw of 2.82 seconds.The Chiefs rushed four players on 57.8 percent of the passing snaps. Those snaps resulted in 6.18 yards per play (three whole yards less than rushing 3) and an average time to throw of 2.72 seconds.The Chiefs rushed five or more players on 11.2 percent of the passing snaps. Those snaps resulted in 6.75 yards per play and an average time to throw of 1.93 seconds.The Chiefs were in man coverage on 59.2 percent of the passing snaps. Those snaps resulted in a superb 4.26 yards per play and an average time to throw of 2.71 seconds. They played press man coverage 83.10 percent of the time with their corners and slot safeties.The Chiefs were in zone coverage 40.8 percent of the passing snaps. Those snaps resulted in a terrible 10.93 yards per play and an average time to throw of 2.70 secondsThe average time to throw this week was 2.65 seconds. When the Chiefs forced the throw under 2.5 seconds (33 plays), they allowed 4.33 yards per play. When the throw took longer than 2.5 seconds (27 plays), they allowed 11.33 yards per play.Something goodThe Chiefs pass defense didn’t have many quality coverage snaps this week, but this was definitely one of them.The Chiefs are in Cover 1, and the Chiefs rush both inside linebackers while dropping both outside linebackers for a four-man rush. Eric Murray has nice catch technique in the center of the field, and the corners are pressing. Ben Roethlisberger holds onto this ball for 5.04 seconds, but the Chiefs secondary stays sound in their coverage, resulting in an incomplete pass that forced a missed field goal.One of the few bright spots this week was the Chiefs run defense, allowing a fantastic 2.18 yards per carry on 11 attempts, and this clip highlights what the Chiefs can do against big packages.The Steelers are in 23 personnel, and the Chiefs are showing a four defensive lineman, four linebacker look to counter it. Derrick Nnadi goes low off the snap and creates an obstacle while Allen Bailey swims over the tackle to get into the backfield. The fullback has to make a decision on who to block, and his hesitation leads to Reggie Ragland filling the gap and catching running back James Conner in midair for no gain.The Chiefs run defense has struggled with some power running teams in the past, but plays like this show what the shift in mentality this offseason has created on that side of the ball.Something badI could spend 4500 words this week on how poor the Chiefs zone defense was against Pittsburgh, but I’m going to highlight one that encapsulates the way the Steelers beat up the Chiefs zone defense.The Chiefs ran a lot of Cover 3 Cloud this week, where a cornerback joins the two deep safeties to split the deep zone into thirds, with four defenders playing zone underneath. It’s a common look for the Chiefs, but they struggled with their discipline in it this week, as Steelers wide receivers tested the seams.Here, Antonio Brown runs the seam between Steven Nelson and Murray’s zones for the deep third. Murray doesn’t shift to pick up Brown, and Nelson doesn’t pass him off www.kansascitychiefsteamonline.com , so they both end up overlapping the coverage on Brown.The problem with that is that Terrance Smith - the Apex defender — is expecting deep help behind him. He doesn’t know that zone has been evacuated, and as Juju Smith-Schuster gets depth on his route behind the underneath zone defender, Smith releases forward to cover the running back in the flat, thinking he’s passed the receiver to the deep zone defender.It’s a fantastic play design by the Steelers, but the success of the play was compounded by poor zone discipline by the Chiefs defenders.This is just poor recognition on a blitz.The Chiefs are bringing the safety and the slot corner from the passing strength of the offense without dropping an outside linebacker on that side of the field. Smith is in man against the running back, who motions out wide to leave the backfield empty. There are hot routes for days against this blitz, as they’re asking Justin Houston to come from the back side of the formation to cover the tight end in the slot after the snap. It’s some of the easiest yardage the Steelers had all day.In situations like this, someone on the defense has to kill this blitz. It arguably wouldn’t have worked against the 3x1 set with the running back in the backfield, but there’s not a prayer of stopping it once Smith shifts opposite the passing strength.Something you may have missedThe Chiefs did get to throw a little bit of a curveball here at the end of the game.After running a lot of zone looks all day, the Chiefs cornerbacks fake a Cover 3 look just before the snap. Ben Roethlisberger anticipates the space in front of the underneath zone defenders off the snap, but the Chiefs kick into man coverage. Orlando Scandrick goes over the top of Ron Parker and closes on Brown for a physical pass breakup to put a cap on a good day in coverage for him.The bottom lineThe Chiefs defense is bad. Full stop.After a week in which I praised Sutton for bringing some exotic looks and general confusion up front, he called a pretty poor game with soft zone coverages and rushing three players far too often. While playing man coverage for 82 snaps is not sustainable, the 60/40 split between man and zone is far too high when you look at the yardage discrepancies between the two.As I mentioned on the AP Laboratory podcast this week, the Chiefs don’t have the bodies in the secondary right now to run man all game and rotate players. We saw Nelson cramping at the end of the first half, so even the current split is taking its toll.The splits also show that even by simply rushing four players, the Chiefs defense can get stops, improving by three yards per play over rushing three players. There’s a time and a place to rush three, but even against a team like Pittsburgh where flooding the secondary with bodies can help, we can see that the time and the place wasn’t this week.Finally, the Chiefs have to get better on first and second downs. After the Scandrick holding penalty that nullified Chris Jones’ touchdown in the first quarter, the Chiefs forced only two more third downs for the rest of the half — a third-and-1 (after a second-and-1 deep shot that went incomplete) and a third-and-10 that resulted in the game-tying touchdown right before the half. The Chiefs only forced three third downs of longer than three yards after the first three drives of the game. That’s called not getting it done on your early downs.The Chiefs need help, and the weak spots appear to be shifting around the defense throughout the first two weeks. Going forward, this ailing defense may need more than a superhuman return from Eric Berry to set it straight. Subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking here.Week 8 Kansas City Chiefs T-Shirt , here we are!Seriously though, can someone please slow down time so I can enjoy the first season with Patrick Mahomes as the Chiefs starting quarterback for a little longer? How sweet it’s been, folks.Last week we talked about the Bengals — specifically Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis — having issues with playing in night games. Those issues reared their ugly heads again for the Bengals as they were trounced by the Chiefs 45-10 during primetime.Now it’s on to the Broncos for the second time already this young season, and here is the Broncos statistical overview:1. Some historical notesOf all the AFC West teams, the Broncos are by far my favorite. That is why I’d like nothing more than to spoil the Broncos history — which inspired me to write this section covering a couple things regarding the Broncos/Chiefs history.鈾?Let the good times roll 鈾玊he Chiefs have done well against the Broncos in their last six games. In fact, the Broncos haven’t beaten the Chiefs since the Broncos won the Super Bowl in the 2015 season.If you’re a Chiefs fan like myself, you’re probably tired of hearing Broncos fans say something along the lines of, “Well, you haven’t won a Super Bowl in a billion years so my team is automatically better than yours, neener neener neener.”If the Chiefs want to stop this type of nonsense from Broncos fans, their best bet would be to win a Super Bowl. The best way for the Chiefs to get to the Super Bowl is by winning home-field advantage.The Chiefs can win home-field advantage if they keep winning games — particularly against a divisional and conference opponent.This brings me to my second item of historical interest:The reason I bring this up, is because I don’t want a Broncos quarterback to own the record.Obviously, I think it will be a long shot for Mahomes to pass the 55-touchdown mark set by Peyton Manning, but there is still hope. Currently, Mahomes is on pace to throw 50 touchdowns on the season.We’ll see if Mahomes can continue to sling the ball when it gets colder — you might as well add that to the “Mahomes checklist”.2. Third downThanks to Bill Connelly’s advanced stats, we can see the Broncos have had a bit of a mixed bag on third down this year:On offense, the Broncos have done well in third-and-short situations — of course, they may struggle more than usual with these on Sunday due to Royce Freeman’s injury.The Broncos offense has struggled on third down when they get into obvious passing situations. The Broncos third-and-long/medium success rate is hovering around the bottom third of the league.With the Chiefs success on third down defensively, the Broncos must net positive gains on first and second down if they want to continue to move the ball.Defensively, the Broncos have struggled on third-and-long and third-and-short situations, but they are second in the NFL in third and medium situations.3. Protecting MahomesThis should be the biggest storyline heading into the Broncos game. The Chiefs have injuries along their offensive line and a third-string center, Austin Reiter, will be starting on Sunday.It’s no news to anyone that the Broncos have a decent pass rush and if the Broncos want to win on Sunday Kansas City Chiefs Hats , they’ll likely do it by tormenting Mahomes with their pass rush.The Broncos are one of the best teams at rushing the passer, and the Chiefs are one of the best teams at avoiding sacks. Something has to give here, right?In their first meeting, the Broncos sacked Mahomes only one time on 45 passing attempts — a sack percentage of 2.2 percent, which is 6.2 points lower than their average on the year.We also have this little bit of information:Gathering all our information, we know Mahomes was only sacked once against the Broncos in their first meeting, and we also see that Mahomes has vastly outperformed Alex Smith from last year in regard to sack percentage.This tells me Mahomes has great pocket awareness, and if I had to put money down, I’d put it on the Chiefs holding the Broncos pass rush at bay mostly on Sunday. I’d be surprised if the Broncos have more than two sacks.4. Denver’s run gameOne common thread of thought we’ve heard regarding the Chiefs all year is that teams need to run the ball consistently against the Chiefs to run the clock and control the ball. The thought is keeping Mahomes off the field to limit the Chiefs from scoring a trillion points each game.In their first meeting, Denver ran the ball 22 times for 159 yards — a 7.2 yards per rush average.Royce Freeman will not play against the Chiefs this time around and he accounted for 67 of the 159 yards in the Chiefs/Broncos first meeting. However, I’m not sure how much his absence will impact the Broncos run game.Phillip Lindsay will garner the majority of the carries on Sunday, and he’ll be the primary running back for the Broncos, who have utilized a running back-by-committee system so far this season.Freeman is averaging 4.4 yards per rush in 2018, and Lindsay is averaging 5.8 yards per rush. So missing Freeman may not hurt the Broncos as much as it would hurt most teams who lost their starting running back.All that said, if the Broncos want to have a chance to win, they’re going to need to run the ball effectively like they did in the first game. The Chiefs need to improve on the 7.2 yards per rush attempt they allowed last time the Chiefs faced the Broncos.I want to see the Chiefs defense continue to improve, and how the Chiefs fare against Lindsay could give us a glimpse into whether or not the Chiefs defense is improving.5. Case of the KeenumsThis one will be quick and simple:In their first meeting, the Chiefs were able to intercept Keenum one time. With the game at Arrowhead, I’m looking for the Chiefs secondary to at least duplicate the one interception they had in Denver.Ultimately, the Chiefs defense needs to improve and one such way they can improve is by picking off Keenum.It’s pretty shocking to see Keenum’s regression back to his 2016 form:I’m hopeful the Chiefs secondary can pick off a pass or two from Keenum, and they’ll need it if they want the defense to continue to improve.So that ends Week 8’s version of chiefStats. What are your keys to the game?
linchao

โพสต์: 268
Cash on hand: 50.00

ย้อนกลับไปยัง School Master

ผู้ใช้งานขณะนี้

กำลังดูบอร์ดนี้: ไม่มีสมาชิกใหม่ และ บุคคลทั่วไป 4 ท่าน